Thursday 6 June 2013

Flourless Chocolate Whey Cookies

This recipe comes from Oxygen magazine's May edition. As soon as I saw them I thought, "they look super yum", and I was right!
 
You need:
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 scoops chocolate whey protein powder
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup natural almond butter
5 pitted dates
1/4 cup warm water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp ground flaxseed * I couldn't find this anywhere in Tesco's, so I didn't include it.
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup egg whites
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
 
Preheat the oven to 350F, which is about 180C. Put baking paper over a baking tray.
 
Blend everything. The recipe recommends blending all but the coconut, because you toast  it lightly before adding it, but it was getting late when I made these so I didn't bother. I just added the coconut with everything.
 
Spoon the batter into 14 heaps.
 
Bake for 25 minutes, then allow to cool.
 
 
These were really tasty, cooked and uncooked (yes I tried some of the batter). My mum, best friend and I agreed the chickpeas made them taste like chestnuts. You really do taste the coconut, so if you're not a fan just leave it out; I'm going to experiment with different additions, such as cherries and raisins.
 
The nutritional breakdown is 47% carbs, 16% protein and 37% fat, however this is when ground flaxseed is included. The fat level seems high, but as will be shown below, the saturated fat level is low.
 
Nutrients per serving (again this is with the flaxseed included, but I doubt it would change the numbers that much):
180 calories
22g carbs
8g protein
8g fats, 2g sat fat
14g sugar
3g fibre.
 
My grandma and mum are both on a gluten-free diet, and I'm back on the clean eating (accept maybe a piece of cheesecake yesterday and Tuesday), so the flourless recipe is perfect. Also, although these aren't too sweet, they are a nice treat if you are craving something naughty.
 
 
 
I'm not sure why the pictures have come up so weeny, but hopefully you get the idea of what the batter looks like and what the cookies look like after their nap in the oven.

Recipe by Amy Layne.
 
xxx

2 comments:

  1. SUPER YUM. Great as an after-gym treat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you're looking for flaxseed try Holland & Barrett or another health food shop. I bought some from a natural food supplier :) these sound yummy, pls make them for me thank yewwww xo

    ReplyDelete